Thursday, February 27, 2014

100th Day of School!

We celebrated our 100th day of school on Tuesday! I wanted to celebrate the 100th with a character education twist. Taking inspiration from a project I love, The Birthday Project, I decided that we would celebrate by doing 100 acts of kindness. Since I wanted this to be done in one day, each student had to complete at least five kind acts, and we had to brainstorm things we could complete at school. The students were creative in their ideas, and the discussion got them very motivated. I sent them off to recess and most returned having already completed three kind acts. Many of these were small gestures (I smiled a student from a different grade, I told a girl on the bars she was good at flips, I helped my friend up when he fell, etc.), but it was exciting to see the pride they felt about their kind deeds.  By the end of the day, each student had completed at least 5 kind acts, giving us a grand total of 110 acts of kindness. 

To finish the project off, the students wrote down all 5 acts on a piece of paper. They chose one to turn into a work of art. I found this cute 100 day project on Pinterest where students used the numbers 1, 0, and 0 to make a picture. For my students, they had to use the numbers to make a picture showing their kind acts.





No comments:

Post a Comment